2 suitable or appropriate together
- French: congru
Congruence is the state achieved by coming together, the state of agreement. The Latin congruere means to come together, agree. As an abstract term, congruence means similarity between objects. Congruence, as opposed to equivalence or approximation, is a relation which implies a kind of equivalence, though not complete equivalence.
- In psychology and NLP (Neuro-linguistic programming), congruence could be defined as rapport within oneself, or internal and external consistency, perceived by others as sincerity or certainty.
- An alternative definition of congruence in the work of Virginia Satir, one of the sources of NLP, is the balance between self, other and context.
- In cladistics, congruence is a test of homology, or shared, derived character states, in which the distributions of supposed homologies among taxa are compared for consistency.
- horizontal and vertical congruence, two related principles of grouping
- In geometry, triangles and other figures are congruent if they are isometric – roughly, if they are of the same size and shape. See Congruence (geometry).
- In mathematics and especially in abstract algebra as well as modular arithmetic, a congruence relation or simply congruence is an equivalence relation that is compatible with some algebraic operation(s).
congruous in German: Kongruenz
congruous in French: Congruence
congruous in Dutch: Congruentie
congruous in Portuguese: Congruência
congruous in Russian: Конгруэнтность
congruous in Swedish: Kongruens
accordant, advantageous, advisable, affirmative, agreeable, agreeing, answerable, appropriate, at one, becoming, befitting, coexistent, coexisting, coherent, coincident, coinciding, commensurate, compatible, concordant, concurring, conformable, congenial, congruent, consentaneous, consentient, consistent, consonant, convenient, cooperating, cooperative, correspondent, corresponding, decent, desirable, en rapport, equivalent, expedient, favorable, feasible, felicitous, fit, fitten, fitting, fructuous, good, happy, harmonious, in accord, in agreement, in rapport, in sync, in synchronization, inaccordance, inharmony, like-minded, likely, meet, of a piece, of like mind, of one mind, on all fours, opportune, politic, positive, profitable, proper, proportionate, recommendable, reconcilable, right, seasonable, seemly, self-consistent, sortable, suitable, symbiotic, sympathetic, synchronized, synchronous, timely, to be desired, unanimous, uniform, unisonant, unisonous, useful, well-timed, wise, worthwhile